Monday, October 15, 2012

Witchy Review: The Dragon's Call (The Dragon Throne)



 
Info:
Title: The Dragon’s Call (The Dragon Throne)
Author: K.W. McCabe
Publisher: Fantafire
Length: 130 pages (Kindle)
Release Date: September 2012
Genre: Young adult, Fantasy, Dystopia
Misc: ARC, Kindle edition

Synopsis:
In a thoughtless final act of destruction, humans wake the one creature of legend they have no protection against. Years after the complete subjugation of the human race, Derek, heir of the Dragon Queen, and Cecily, create a tentative friendship. But something or someone is stalking the human enclave. Cecily and Derek must find out who and why before she's next.

                                                                ************

Upon starting The Dragon’s Call, I was slightly skeptical since I’m not familiar with this sub-genre of books. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how quick I was able to read and how fast I wanted to turn the pages.

With that being said, let me add that I thought it could have had more character and plot development. In the opening chapter and throughout the first half of the book, the reader gets a glimpse of, “The Recollection of Todd Burns”, a back story of what happened before humans were forced into submission and poverty. I was so curious to hear more, but the book is fairly short and the main storyline did not revolve around this. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more in the future.

To me it read a little like the romance in Twilight but with dragons or draakons, younger, teenage dragon who have not yet reached “mature” status. I enjoyed the climax of the book, the kiss between a young girl, Cecily and Derek, a draakon heir to the throne. It was in this moment that the reader knows these two are forbidden to love each other, yet couldn’t help cheering them on. McCabe definitely brought me back to my adolescent years of feeling in love and vulnerable. There was no turning back at that point, and there would be dire consequences for both of their actions.

I turned the pages more quickly than before after that and was immersed in the story until the very end. The ending was just how I wanted it to end, though; I was slightly disappointed at not being surprised. All in all, it was a fun, easy book to read with descriptive storytelling. I’m excited for the next book to hit the shelves so I can read more. Good job!



  Witchy Rating: 4 Black Cats

Opinion has been brought to you by Mombi at Witchy Reviews

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog theme! Love the cats. New follower, check out my blog too? :)
    http://bookblondes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Found you via Alison Can Read's hop. Great blog! New follower via GFC. :D Mine are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete

 

Sample text

Sample Text

.

Sample Text